Friday, May 11, 2012

Life lesson learned

This banana bread is somewhat legendary.  It is my dad's creation, and it is loved by family, friends, neighbors, and ward members alike.  It is a treat that he makes and personally delivers as a birthday gift.  I thought it would be a wonderful first recipe for my blog.  Well  just like so many times as I was growing up, I spoke before I verified.  You would think I'd have that lesson down by now.  VERIFY then SPEAK.  I should have that down to perfection.  But true to form I do not "have it down, to perfection".  Lesson AGAIN learned. The saying that says it's better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission is NOT applicable here.  So my friends I will sadly NOT be publishing dad's recipe for these little loaves beauty.  I will instead be posting from my recipe box, and hope you will understand that while I had the best of intentions, dad's recipe is held closely to the vest. I will probably now be forbidden to be in the kitchen while he is baking. *sigh*  I will probably also never again be the recipient of this little loaf of heaven.  When will I learn...


Banana Nut Bread  

  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature (really important when baking)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature also, plus more for greasing the pan
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 VERY ripe bananas, peeled, and mashed with a fork (about 1 cup) The darker the banana, the better!
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (totally optional)

Directions

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Sift the flour, soda, and salt into a medium bowl. Whisk the eggs and vanilla together in a liquid measuring cup and set aside. Lightly brush a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan with butter. 
With a mixer cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually pour the egg mixture into the butter while mixing until incorporated. Add in the bananas. The mixture will look curdled, so don't freak out. This is exactly as it should look!
With a rubber spatula, mix in small amounts of the flour mixture just until it's incorporated. Don't over mix! Fold in the nuts and pour the batter into your prepared pan. Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Cool the bread in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Take the bread out of the pan to cool completely on the wire rack.  Or, if you are like me, enjoy it while warm with a big schmear of butter!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment