Monday, May 21, 2012

Happy 'National Vegetarian Week', and 'Meatless Monday' everyone!  I have been slacking on the writing, but I do have a couple of  fun things I need to put on here.  Like, my first ever barbie cake that I made for my granddaughter Cassi's 5th birthday.  WOOT WOOT!  And my new favorite thing to bake...Lion House Rolls!  They are DIVINE!!!  I'll post pics, and the recipes for both soon!  I'm trying out a new fun font.  What do you think?  Yes?  Or should I revert back to the easy to read (but not as fun and funky) original.  Enquiring minds want to know! :)

For today, I made a Spinach and Portabello Mushroom Fritatta in honor of Vegi Week, and Meatless Monday.  (A little secret.  I am a vegetarian, who ADORES pork.  But that's another post!) :D  This fritatta is so simple to make!  I had everything I needed in the fridge!  The great thing about a fritatta is you can eat it hot, or at room temp.  I never sit down at the table to eat so most of the time my food gets cold by the time I actually eat it, so this recipe is FAB for people like me!  It's also a super delish way to pack veg into a dish!  It's a great way to get the healthy stuff into your spouse and kids!
It's also a one-pan-wonder which I especially love, because as you will find out, my dirty little secret is I HATE DOING DISHES.  There.  I said it.  Mom will be so proud this is forever memorialized on line.  Oh well!  Back to the recipe!  I added scallions and red onions to mine.  Mainly because that is what I had.  And I also added the scallions because I saw this nifty post on Pinterest that says you can indefinitely grow green onions from just the bottom ends.  You KNOW I have to test that tip out!  I also put the asiago, parm, ramano cheese blend in mine in addition to the cheddar.  Yes, I am still calling this a healthy dish in spite of all of the cheese. What???  There are veg in this!  Now, without further ado, I give you...

SPINACH AND PORTABELLO MUSHROOM FRITATTA
2 T.   Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 c.  Onion,  or Scallions chopped
8   Large Eggs
4 T.   Sharp Cheddar Cheese, coarsely grated, divided (or eyeball it like I do)
1 6 oz. pkg. Sliced Portabello Mushrooms, chopped into big chunks
2 c. Fresh Spinach, chopped

Preheat your broiler.  Whisk the eggs and 2 T. of the cheese (your discretion on amount) in a large bowl.  Sprinkle in salt and pepper.  Heat the oil in a 10" nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium heat.  Add the onions and mushrooms, and saute' until they are tender.  This takes about 5-10 minutes.  I like to get a nice caramelization going on the mushrooms.  Add the spinach, and saute' until it is wilted.  Add in the egg mixture and stir to combine all of the ingredients.  Reduce your heat to medium low, cover, and cook until the eggs are almost set, about 5 minutes.  Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.  Transfer the fritatta under the broiler.  Broil just until it is set in the center, and the cheese is golden brown.  This usually takes between 1-2 minutes.
GORGEOUS right???  If you want to get fancy, use a spatula and loosen the edges of the fritatta, then slide it onto a platter.  Just remember...the handle is MOLTEN!  I wrap a dish towel around the handle just so I won't forget.  It serves 4 hungry people, or me for dinner and lunch the next day.  Ok, and a midnight snack at 2 a.m.
You don't have to wait until a 'meatless monday' to make this little beauty!  It's just as amazing and delish on a FAB Friday, or a TERRIFIC  Tuesday!   And that my friends is what's for dinner tonight!  I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!  Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment